6.09.2011

The Poached Pair

Watch out world...this "Poached Pair" is conquering the cupcake-only crowd!!!


Megan Gonzalez is one half of the baking "Pair" who just recently opened up shop in old town Newhall, California in the former Mitch's Java & Jazz location (pretty cool huh?).  I wanted to interview her to get a sneak peak at the talent behind this emerging dynamic duo...what I found was pretty sweet (in so many ways)!

WW:  When did you start baking?
MG:  I didn’t start baking until after college, but as far back as I can remember my mom was whipping up sweet treats for me.  I was a super picky eater and I can even remember talking her into making brownies for my birthday instead of a traditional cake.  Food has always played an important role in my family and especially my relationship with my mom.  It’s always been this thing that bonds us, physically and emotionally.
WW:  When did you know that you wanted to do this for a living?
MG:  After college I got a job with an architecture firm in San Francisco.  I hated it.  It was stressful, and I worked long hours.  I would go back to visit my parents and unwind a bit, and my mom and I would just bake…and drink…(lol)…it was my comfort, my release. And then, after many talks and much deliberation, I took a leap of faith and quit my job in SF to move home and pursue my passion for baking.
WW:  So the next step was finding a place to set up shop?
MG:  Lol…not so fast!  First I had to go to culinary school!  But, all the while we were in the works of building a concept for our shop.

WW:  I LOVE the whole ambience of your place.  It’s not your run of the mill pastry shop.  Was there certain inspiration for the atmosphere that you wanted to create?
MG:  YES!  We were wine tasting in Napa and we just adored that small town, wine-country vibe, where California meets the Hamptons (think the kitchen in “Something’s Gotta Give” and The Bakery in “It’s Complicated”).  We envisioned a more sophisticated place…a place where I would want to go and just spend a couple hours enjoying myself.

WW:  It’s definitely a place that I could waste away the day…especially because I would never go hungry!  Tell me a little bit about all your edible delights.
MG:  I know cupcakes are all the rage right now…and we do offer an eclectic array of them…but we’re not just that.  We’ve got cookies, brownies, scones, muffins, biscotti, and even crackers.  A lot of our inspiration comes from drinking wine…and what pairs well, with say…a Port (perhaps Chocolate Mole Biscotti)?  It’s all about fresh foods, top ingredients, and playing with flavors.  I’m constantly forming recipes in my head…vacillating between sweet and savory…creating menus that are relevant throughout the entire day.   

WW:  No joke…I could eat breakfast, lunch AND dinner (and don’t forget dessert) here!

Some of the distinctive flavors on the menu today:
Blueberry Goat Cheese Muffins
Bacon Cheddar Green Onion Scones
Apricot Ginger Scones
Coconut Lime Cupcakes

 Thanks Megan, for sharing your time and your delicious confections with me!

To get a taste of what’s new in town, just head on over to The Poached Pair, located at
22722 Lyons Ave #1
in Newhall, California.  Open everyday except Mondays!  Or call (661) 260-1696 to place an order 
If you’re not in the area, you can check them out on the web at www.thepoachedpair.com

Oh…and tell them Erin sent you!!!

1 comment:

  1. I really want to try that blueberry and goat cheese muffin! I'm definitely going there!

    ReplyDelete